Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Little About "Equinox"....

I have decided to attempt writing my first story. Well... technically, it's not MINE, per say, but the characters and most of the dialog belongs to Mrs. Stephenie Meyer. 


Here is what led up to the decision.






Not too terribly long ago, I happened across her partial draft of "Midnight Sun" which, simply put, is her first book, "Twilight" written from Edward's point of view. There were only eleven chapters of the draft, but it was enough to totally hook me, and I seriously wish that she would finish the story - sooner rather than later - although I know it won't happen for awhile. 


You can find that story here - Midnight Sun - Partial Draft


It was a very interesting look into Edward's mind, and through Edward's mind, a look into everyone's minds, since he is a mind reader, and I decided that I also liked hearing the behind the scenes stories of what went on whenever Edward wasn't immediately around Bella. I enjoyed reading about the vicious internal struggle that he fought with his thirst whenever he came into contact with her. It was so much more revealing than the movie could have ever shown in the allotted two hour run time. Reading about what he and the rest of his family were doing while not specifically in the 'scene' that was being written about, was very entertaining to me as well, and gave all of the characters a little more depth than you were given in the original novel.


So, this brings me to the point of this post. What is "Equinox"?


Simply stated, "Equinox" is MY version of Stephenie's second story, "New Moon" - written from Edward's point of view. 


I'm re-purposing her dialog from "New Moon", most of it anyway, as Stephenie did in "Midnight Sun" - at least the parts where Edward is in direct contact with Bella. The rest of it.. what Edward is thinking and feeling, and because he can read minds, what his family is thinking, what is said when they are alone as a family, and what happens behind the scenes when Edward leaves Bella 'for her own good', is all mine. 


I'm trying to keep Edward true to Stephenie's vision of him, and not stray too far away from the way she wrote his mind and the minds of his family in "Midnight Sun". I've added my own little twists here and there, of course, but over all, I'm pleased with the way the story is coming together. It's very time consuming though, during the scenes where I have to refer back to her dialog take more time than I would like, but I guess it's a necessary part of the whole undertaking. 


I'll post a few teasers here and there as I write, just to give you an idea of what I'm doing, and what it's like in my version of Edward's mind. I'm warning you though.... don't get into any hurry for a completed story any time soon. I'm only writing this for ME, and because I don't have an editor or a publisher pushing me, it will get written at my speed, which will depend on my inspiration at the time. 


Also, I haven't decided for SURE if it will be posted in it's entirety when I'm done... so I don't want to get your hopes up for that either. People can be vicious when you change something they love and make it different... and I'm not sure that I'm completely up to that level of criticism from this particular fandom when it's my first story, I have no plans to become an author full time, and I'm only doing this for myself. Believe it or not, at this point, I'd be more comfortable sending it to Stephenie herself than posting it out there for her legions of adoring, crazy, loyal fans to read. I have the feeling that she would be a lot less judgmental. *wink* I think it will depend on how it turns out as to whether or not it will be put out for public consumption. 


Anyway.. that is what I have been working on. Stay tuned (or not..?) to see what happens next. If you LIKE what you read, please, feel free to leave me some comments. Whether or not people like what they read and let me know it, will go a long way towards me making the entire story public when it's done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment