Monday, May 16, 2011

Ever Wondered What It Feels Like To Be A Celebrity?

Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be a celebrity?


I mean... let's think about this for a second. 90 billion people in the world know everything about you. 


Your birthday, your height, weight, religion, favorite colors, what kind of beer you drink, your parents and siblings names and ages. They've scratched though file after file to find out your pets name and where you got it from... probably even where you came up with it's name. They know all of your favorite songs and what CD you are most likely to have in the CD player in your car - which, of course, they know the make, model, year and color of. They know what kind of clothes you wear all the way down to your preferred brand of socks and underwear. They are very aware of what you like to eat on the weekends - possibly even the way you like your steak cooked and whether or not you eat peas.


I'm serious. 


Now, think about this - not only do they know all of that, but they also have photos of you that they have collected from various places around the internet - everything from interviews to photo shoots, which you don't mind so much... those are supposed to be out there. But, then you see photos of you that aren't supposed to be out there - photos of you and your family and friends out having lunch or dinner somewhere, photos of you getting on and off airplanes.. sometimes you are not really looking your best in those. Then... to your complete and utter embarrassment, you see photos that people have manipulated to have you doing all manner of crazy things. And let's not forget the videos..... 


All of this is nothing compared to your not being allowed to appear in public with anyone of the opposite sex without rumors running rampant about whether or not you have dated or just bumped uglies a time or two. FORGET being able to have a relationship of any kind without the objects of your affections being instantly hated by your legions of overly devoted followers for commanding your attention away from the potential to be with them


Just sit for a moment and imagine how ALL of that must feel.


To have someone believe that they know you... to feel like you are their friend... that possibly, in their mind, that you even have a relationship of some sort. 


And not just one person... MILLIONS of them.


Now remember that you have never seen any of their faces before. You've never even heard one of their names. 


Sounds pretty creepy, right?


Yeah. It is. I can say this from similar experience, although not on near so grand of a scale as that. 


I used to do photography for a fairly well known group of musicians back home in Nashville. I became known through my Myspace for my photos that I took and posted of them. I was friends with them... and I hung out with them. People asked to 'be my friend' on there.. not because of the photos, per say, but because I knew the people in the photos. At several shows, I would have people come up to talk to me that knew everything about me.. greeted me by name... and I had never seen their faces, or even heard their names before. Was it creepy? Hell yes it was. Just that little amount of attention from people I didn't even know existed that knew all there was to know about me was enough to make me seriously glad for the first time in my life that I was NOT a celebrity.


Just think about how that would feel.... if it was you.


1 comment: