Sunday, October 9, 2011

And People Wonder Why.....

... I want to quit doing photography on a professional level.


Days like today... and many days previously.. make me wonder why I continue to do what I do. 


Just a few hours ago, I was inspired to write a short blog about what inspired me originally to take up concert photography. Feeling that it was the proper place to post the blog, I shared it on my photography page... only to loose support from people who 'unliked' my page soon afterwards. WTF?


So... apparently, I'm not allowed to talk about myself, and what inspired me to take those pictures that people like so much they have to steal them and crop them and take credit for them. I know a great number of people are there strictly for my 100 Monkeys photos and the pictures of Jackson that I have taken, and will probably continue to take, and I used to be OK with that, because the attention was attention at least, and it meant that people did/do like my work.


But when people remove their support of me because I want to talk about myself  *gasp* on MY photography page... and I'm not currently posting photos of Jackson or the guys, that makes me feel completely used.. and I'm really tired of feeling that way. 


After thinking back on it a little I realized...: 

  • I have photos from the last 100 Monkeys shows in Vegas and California that have never been edited - probably about 400+ of them. I don't even care to look at them, much less edit them or post them anywhere for public consumption. The way I'm feeling now, I might never post them.


  • I've been so disgruntled about my photography lately that I don't even want to pick up my camera. I used to go nowhere without it. My close friends knew that where I was, my camera was also. None of them have seen me with my camera in several months.


  • Both of the bags with my cameras are currently sitting on the floor of my cabinet, covered in a fine layer of dust. 


  • I know that at the moment, my battery in my Nikon digital camera is completely dead, and my Canon film camera needs to be serviced before it can ever be used again. 


  • There are pictures on the Nikon of Montgomery Gentry at Buds and Suds from the second week of last month, that have never even been downloaded, much less edited, and I don't even care to see what they look like. 
I am still considering deleting my photography page - not because I am tired of people stealing my photos this time, although I am also seriously sick of that - but because I want people to see my photography in its entirety, and not just the 100 Monkeys/Jackson Rathbone photos that I take. 

If I do delete my photography Facebook page, I will most likely be using this blog as my main source for my photography from now on. At least that way, if people are seriously interested in my photography, they will have to wade through pages of me to get to it. 

I'm officially over it. 




 

2 comments:

  1. Aww bb! There are those of us who LOVE your photography.. regardless of what/who the pictures may be of. People who take your pictures without asking, without crediting you properly or without respecting you as a photographer/artist are not people you should want as followers. I really hope eventually you decide to take photos again. You have a real talent for it, and it would be saddening to see that go to waste. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know that I've enjoyed your photography immensely.
    I first 'met' you on Twitter due to your pics of Jackson but have enjoyed your other photos, as well. I feel very bad for the way you're feeling. It is sad that people are such users and have no appreciation for anything other than what they're interested in. Human beings are a selfish and rude lot and most of the time, they don't even realize it.
    I hope your love of photography and desire to take pictures returns very soon. You shouldn't let a few bad apples ruin the whole bushel. There are more of us appreciative people out here than the unappreciative ones, it's just that the squeaky ones are the ones that are heard.
    I totally understand your need to separate yourself from the Fandom and how you must be feeling hurt. A lot of the time differences of opinion cause hurt feelings as well as thoughtless remarks. Please try not to take it personally. Your pictures are beautiful and inspiring and you've come a long way since I first saw your work. Keep up the great work and I hope to see you around again soon.

    Best wishes,
    Charli

    ReplyDelete